For more information on this book, please email email@example.com.
Jamieson, a rural township and agricultural district, is at the junction of the Goulburn and Jamieson Rivers, in country with river flats. It is 30 km from Mansfield and 120 km north-east of Melbourne.
Jamieson was a goldfield and a supply centre for gold fields in a belt of country running southwards to Walhalla. Prospectors reached the area in 1860, and in 1861 the Jamieson gold workings had over 300 people. A town site was surveyed in 1862 on the river flat encircled on three sides by the Jamieson River. It was probably named after a shepherd, George Jamieson, who grazed sheep there during the previous decade, although a squatter William Kerr, West Gippsland, has been suggested as having inspired the name.